IBM Maximo Industries Oil-Gas
This article covers the upgrade procedure for IBM Maximo Asset Management from version 7.1 to 7.6.
You can try the new Maximo 7.6 version here.
As many of you know, it doesn’t exist an upgrade path from 7.1 to 7.6, so I’m going to explain my suggestions about this type of upgrade.
The main issue about the upgrade process consist in to install Maximo twice , first the version 7.5 then the version 7.6.
The other issue is install the middleware twice because during the transaction from one Maximo version to the other the new major versions have been released for both WebSphere and DB2.
So I have summarized all main steps for this “double upgrade” in this activities diagram:
- The first step is to install the Maximo 220.127.116.11 fix pack.
- The 18.104.22.168 version is the minimum version to run the upgrade procedure from Maximo 7.5.
- During the steps you have to create two different environments, the first one for Maximo 7.5, the second one for Maximo 7.6.
- After the Go-live you can discard the Maximo 7.5 environment.
- The double upgrade is necessary because doesn’t exist any upgrade path from 7.1 to 7.6
- The upgrade from 7.5 to 7.6 involves both WebSphere and DB2. WebSphere version is update from 7 to 8.5, DB2 version is update from 9 to 10.
- During the upgrade procedure it’s higher probable that you will manually fix the updatedb procedure.
- It is good practice to automatize the fixing activity so when the procedure is performed again in production environment the server downtime will be accettable.
- After each upgrade you must run non-regression test scenarios.
Your comments and suggestions are welcome.